Monday, November 11, 2013

Vision Board

I've always sort of thought that vision boards were essentially a load of snake oil.  I mean, seriously, the whole concept is silly in my opinion.  The universe doesn't care what you write down on a board, it doesn't really care what you want either, it just ... is essentially, so the whole concept doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I think that they fall under the whole "paradox of self-help" that exists.  Essentially the idea is this, you get a bunch of self-help books, you read them, you understand what you need to do to make things in your life better, and then that's it.  You stop there and you think that knowing what is wrong in your life is magically going to make everything better, it's going to make everything work out.  Except that it doesn't, you need to take some form of action to change things, knowledge, while important, doesn't change the world, only actions taken due to the knowledge you have change the world.  I hope that makes sense.

This vision board assignment was rather difficult for me to be completely honest, because like I said, I don't really agree with the idea fundamentally, but I think I found a method that works for me.  I made a sort of business card thing that allows me to keep track of what I'm doing, and helps me record the habits I need to work on and fix.  I don't know if it counts as a vision board per se, but I think that it will help me more than a normal vision board will.

No comments:

Post a Comment