Monday, September 23, 2013

Altered Book

Well, I think I found it, the one project I disliked, and the one where I felt like I ran into a brick wall of sorts.  I had a lot of trouble coming up with what to do, so I tried to do some sort of book carving ... which failed miserably.  The glue may not have been dry, also my cutting wasn't straight, so all in all it turned into a giant mess of a thing so I had to go back to the drawing board.

For a long time, I couldn't figure out what other thing to do.

I had different ideas, but none of them seemed to be outside of my comfort zone, so I decided to make a sort of collage using a phone book.  Why a collage?  Well, a couple of reasons, firstly because I am awful at traditional art, I can hardly draw human forms, I can't do shading, and painting is right out.  Also, as mentioned before, cutting in a straight line is a problem for me.  So I said "to hell with it" and began collaging.

I butchered a phone book with scissors, tried to do straight lines, failed, and was okay with it, and I ended up with something that I'm actually reasonably proud of.  I mean, yeah, it's not the nicest looking thing I've ever done, but it's different and I think it gets across the point I was trying to make.

What was the point?

Well, I should describe the thing, it's a picture of a person, hands in his pockets, thinking.  Surrounding him are ads from the phone book, and in his thought bubble, he's not thinking about anything.  The reason I did this is because there's a song I listen to that says, "So many ads telling us what to do, who to be, what to say, that we don't even have to think anymore."  I tried to recreate that lyric with pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment