Monday, September 16, 2013

How to "Read" a Book

When I first saw this assignment, I was like, "Really Beth..?"  Then I sighed and got down to it.  It was fun.

Take your book and point to a random page:
I pointed to a page full of notes about math with an image of a robot arm that I drew in the margins.  There are three p's which I used as variables in various math problems.  As for the robot arm, it's full of straight lines, something like 30-32 of them (I can't tell if some of them are lines or if I meant to erase them and they still exist)

Use your other senses, explain what it feels like:
It's somewhat rough, I mean not terribly so, but there is definitely a texture of sorts to it.  The cover is Red and hard, and also textured, it says "Spiral Bound 70 pages" on it.  Colors don't feel different with my eyes closed, mainly because besides the cover, there are no colors.  Paper is college ruled, there's one piece that was cut incorrectly, so it's a bit longer than the rest of the book and was folded over when the book was made.

How is the book constructed?
It's spiral bound, so they cut multiple holes in the pages and then thread a wire through it holding it together.  It is designed to hold the paper in pretty well, while still allowing tear outs easily enough.  The signature, which I guess isn't exactly a signature, is 70 pages, the complete contents of the notebook.

Look at the end papers:
There is writing in the book, it is mine.  On the last page, it's an old piece of poetry I wrote in ten minutes while I was waiting for a concert that I was filming to start.  The poem got published in the campus magazine Genesis.  I hate it, but here it is:

"Cheap laughter, cheap cigarettes, cheap booze
A house so full, people so empty
Personalities thinner than skin
A dozen a dime these ones.
But then there's you
Across the room
Bright and beautiful
Priceless.
Nothing like the busted mannequins
Littering every room.
If only I had the guts, the gall
If only I knew the words, the moves
Call me a coward
Coward.
Call me a damned fool
Damned fool.
But both escape me.
So I sit and scrawl
Hoping you will read this

And know it was meant for you."

Examine the book more:
There's a couple stains throughout the pages, some I think are from me touching it with grubby fingers while I was writing and eating or something.  There's what I think may be a blood stain in there, I'm assuming from one of my many chronic nosebleeds, but I can't be entirely sure.  It may just be another generic stain and not blood at all.

Look at the pages of the book:
The pages are pretty much white, I mean I guess it's a bit of an off-white, like eggshell or something, but I've never been terribly good at those ... weird colors. (I mean, a white is a white is a white, but whatever.)  There's also the blue and pink lines there as well. 

History of the book:
I think I'm the only one who has used it, maybe my roommate might have borrowed some paper once or twice but I doubt even that.  If someone tried to read it, they would be rather confused I think, it is a horrible amalgamation of five different sets of class notes written in my chicken scratch, so even if they could read it (which I doubt), they wouldn't get anything out of it, I don't think.

Flip through the pages of the book:
It's kind of difficult to flip them as they almost seem stuck together in a way.  It's odd to say the least.  When they flip it sounds kind of like a breeze through a maple tree ... or whatever tree has those helicopter seeds, it reminds me of that sound.  You can feel a breeze, but the only thing I could get to move with it was a piece of paper, and even that was a little bit of a struggle.

Drop the book on the floor:
It hit with a splat, I couldn't feel any vibrations from it.  I don't think it's heavy enough to cause them.

Hold the book and close your eyes:
I wouldn't say the book is cold, more like its lukewarm.  I mean, it's very much room temperature and the room is like 70 degrees, so the book is about that, and 70 degrees certainly isn't cold or even hardly cool.  However I did notice that my heat transferred into it and the book was warmer after a minute.  I never really thought about heat transfer into the book, I mean, I think I always knew in the back of my mind that it was happening, I just never noticed it.

Smell the book:
The book smell reminds me of crushed leaves and cinnamon.  Which is odd to say the least.

Read the first page:
The book is called "Spiral Bound 70 page", the first page of the book has notes about English and sentence structure.  I'm not sure if the two are related.  

No comments:

Post a Comment