Monday, September 23, 2013

Class Takeaway 4

This past class wasn't terribly long, and we mainly focused on talking about our altered book and what we had done with it so far.  There weren't really any new concepts introduced for the most part.

However, I think it was one of the most useful classes we've had just because of a simple line that was said at the end of class by Beth, as we were trying to figure out what to tell Steven Malander to work on.  A couple of us tossed out some ideas that mostly consisted of destroying the object, a can of walnuts, in the most violent way possible, at which point, Beth admonished us a little, saying we were thinking too much along what we were used to, rather than seeing sideways and attempting to try something new.

Which made me realize how much I had been doing that this class.  I mean, sure, I guess my ideas were somewhat original, it involved me working on board games based on odd concepts, but at the end of the day, it was something within my comfort zone: board games.  Rather than trying something completely new, or at least something I wasn't so experienced in, I stuck with the things I was used to, I stuck with what was easiest, instead of trying something new.

Why?  Probably because I was afraid of failing miserably.

But now, I know that there's a problem, and I'm trying to fix it.  I mean, if there has ever been a class where I"m allowed to mess up, it's this one.  So I decided to go off the wall a little for my book project.  I mean, I guess it's not that crazy, but it is certainly different for me, but there will be more on that next post.

Oh, in the meantime, found an interesting comic that reminded me of Seeing Sideways, so here's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment